A Do Over

(sometimes it's best to hold hands and keep on keeping on)


It's Thursday, and the social media sites I frequent all feature various videos and photos with a # and the letters TBT.

Throw back Thursday.

A day to reminisce and recall a previous sweetness. Not a bad concept in a culture always set on moving full throttle toward something new.

Most Thursdays I enjoy looking at old videos of dance routines or of my friends as smallish people.

Not today.

Today I would love for it to be "Do over Thursday."

If I was being honest, I think I'd prefer for it to be "do over" week. That would make it do over month...at that rate let's make it do over year.

I need a do over.

One with more energy and patience and less tears. A day (or week or month) filled with waking up feeling rested and capable and like I'm not failing at something. I'm not whining or down in the dumps, I'm just keeping it real. Raising and homeschooling girls is a challenge. They try to grow up faster than necessary. It's the way the world is and while they are in it, as a mother I work to keep them not of it.

"Not of it..." a sentence on repeat around here as my eldest reaches her thirteenth birthday.

Motherhood is the hardest job I've ever had. It is not one that I can put aside when I run low on time or fuel or peace. I've chosen it, and desire to do it with excellence. It is a gift, pure and simple.

But, sometimes gifts are difficult to recognize. Situations leave you drained and doubting and without fight.

In those moments, remember you are not alone. You can do this. You were created for this. Chosen. You are the perfect Mama for your family. You work in the world's toughest office space and you make it out mostly alive every day.

Some days will be easier than others. For me, this is not one of those days, and I'm okay with that.

Do you want to know why?

Because tomorrow I'll get a "do over"... And if you need one you'll get one too.

Sigh. It doesn't get better than that.

Here's to you, sweet mothers reading this. You are priceless. Incredible. Perfectly created for what lies ahead of you.  (I put this in bold because it's an important truth you need to hold to, to put on repeat when the hours seem endless.)

...perfectly created for what lies ahead...

For the days when the going gets tough? Take a breath and call a do over. I'm here to listen and offer support if you need me...and He is too.

"His mercies are new new every morning; great is your faithfulness." ~ Lamentations 3:23

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Loving Well

Tuesday's Child is Full of Grace

The Power of Words