Rain

"Thanks for showing me that even on the darkest, rainiest days 
the sun is still there, just behind the clouds, waiting
to shine again."  -Lisa Harlow 

It's dark and rainy here in our neck of the woods. It was lovely yesterday...glorious actually. The sun shone and the sky was the most beautiful shade of cerulean with the thermometer reading well over eighty degrees. Tonight? It's in the forties and the chicks are asking me to purchase their winter coats. Yesterday we wore shorts. Today it was cozy grey sweats. 

Ah, change...I feel it with every part of me. My body told me the mercury had dropped in the wee hours of the morning, as my sweet husband whispered, "Are you sure you want to go exercise?" I half groaned in the affirmative, planted my feet on the floor, and propelled myself forward knowing that my time on the machine would be longer than usual to combat the gloomy skies. My heart feels it, as it's now been over a month since my sweet friend Sara went radio silent. My mind is buzzing with school and dance schedules as well as the dread that comes when the man travels out of the country if only for a bit over a week

Change

Isn't is amazing how quickly it comes about? How, in the blink of an eye, our lives seem to spin as if on a dime and we're headed in a completely new direction? Honestly, it's the speed of change that seems to throw me for a loop. 

When that dime spins, I choose to remember I am not alone. I have my chicks, whose laughter holds echoes of sweet promises yet to be and whose eyes shine and sparkle and look to me to make the most of every second we are together. There are friends with hearts as wide as the day is long, and a husband who chooses to come home to me every day no matter what. I recognize the awe in all of this. I am thankful.

Choice


Today I chose to stand in the rain. Willingly. I allowed it to drip softly upon my upturned face. I stood in the stillness and listened for the song that is created when a force of nature collides with man made things. The drip and plop and splash as water hit the windows and gutters and roof. With eyes closed and face upturned, I took it in with all of me. Allowing myself to feel, to experience, to cherish this storm. Knowing that although I may end up a bit soggy, I'd be better for it, both literally and figuratively. 

Tomorrow 

Tomorrow I trust that the sun will shine, with all her glory, when I least expect it.

Tonight

I'm thankful for rain that renews, darkness which helps me search out the light, and for the glorious orb in the heavens, reflected tonight in the light of the moon..


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Loving Well

Tuesday's Child is Full of Grace

The Power of Words